From:
Jonathan D Dear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2018 15:16:18 -0800
Hello Bee community!

I wanted to let you know about a developing honey bee program at UC Davis
Veterinary Medicine. We're working together the Bee Biology department to
develop veterinary certificate programs for Bee Medicine. As of January 1,
2017 honey bees are considered food producing animals according to the FDA
and , as such, require a veterinarian to prescribe antibiotics or provide a
VFD for their use in food. In the US, there is a gap in knowledge as
veterinarians have not historically been taught about apiculture.

We're planning to have the first modules (online) ready by next summer.
These will be followed by hands-on labs in Davis, Southern California and
Corvallis, Oregon.

One of my collaborators, Elina Nino will be discussing Beekeeping and
Management at the UC Davis Winter Conference on February 10. Registration
for the bee track is only $40!!!

If you'd like more information about the program or our plans for
veterinary continuing education, please let me know.

JDD

PS. You don't need to be a veterinarian to attend the bee track of the
winter conference, it is open to the public.

https://ce.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/symposia-events/2018-winter-conference

<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fce.vetmed.ucdavis.edu%2Fsymposia-events%2F2018-winter-conference%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3sDZ5XxId_5mSwHozedpHZXYirhQBYmpJ_0-A7ljbZD9JCIsxN3RE8TDY&h=AT2pxUqG4zQ1KKCi59dvTL5xfMuGtnloqhyhtmXGWv-G_QLE1g9QL8rQGXw4mOqrDq1PRRI5DzX6JsIcfBK-fnk6Kj3FCD_QTyiJ4HuvnVGb_wPqXDgZ6PU71mvKCX77PCtXDY-USa_lwbRfJGgdmGd1-8SRPw>
Jonathan Dear
Assistant Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine