From:
"John J. Kriz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 May 1998 12:15:28 -0400
I have several questions.  Can anyone help me?

1)  I installed a 3# Starline package a month ago.  Seems to be doing
well, but I spotted a queen cell forming a fortnight ago, and this
afternoon is the first time I'll be able to go into the hive.  Lots of
activity...bees going in and out.  Why is this cell forming?  Esp. so
soon?  What should I do?

2) A fortnight ago I put two Apistan strips in the single brood
chamber.  I know when to take them off, but want to know when I should
super the hive (plan on cut comb).  Put Apistan in a week after
installing the bees.

3) Put Terra onto the tops of the frames of the brood chamber a
fortnight ago, and will put more on today (I know this is not as
frequent as it should be...wet weather and travel).  Could I put the
Terra into the sugar syrup I'm using?  Is this an OK way to apply Terra?

4) Should I put a second brood chamber on my hive?  When?

5) For cut comb, do I cut the combs out of the wooden frames and then
replace with new foundation?  Taking these frmaes apart seems more
trouble than it's worth.  Should I build new frames, or try plastic
frames, which seem to be easy to put new foundation into?  What's best?

6) Any practical info on how to best cut honey out of frames?  Have read
all the books.

Thanks, all.