From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:33:05 -0400
Thanks, Bill, for the details.  I've been using my own EO concentrate in syrup from a recipe I found on one of the forums a few years ago, basically a HBH knockoff.  But, as you note, it's just lemongrass and spearmint oils in concentrated syrup with a little lecithin.  I don't know if it helps in treating mites, but it sure makes the syrup attractive to the bees, even if there is a flow on, which I find useful for building up splits and nucs.  But, it also increases robbing, so there is a downside.

Now, I am going to add thymol to the syrup.  Given the concentration, it looks like I will add it to the final syrup at 8 drops per liter or ~ 30 drops (~ 0.5 ml) a gallon, and not to the concentrate, in which the EOs are at a lot lower concentration (~ 15 drops per EO per gal concentrate - used at ~ 8 tsp per gal feeder syrup - I just eyeball it).  I haven't used 'hard' chemicals in several years and take the losses in stride as I work towards a minimally treatable, sustainable stock.  BTW, syrup with the EO in it is great to spray on the bees to calm them down, and I also spray them, whenever I add a queen.

I bought four oz. of thyme oil from iherb dot com for $40.99 USD with free shipping.

Again, thanks.

Bill

Claremont, NH