From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2013 14:27:17 +0000
Once again, I have to point out that the quality of the colonies in fall has a direct bearing on winter survival. As I said, if you gas the colonies in fall, your winter loss is zero. If you move them all to Florida, you will likely lose none to winter, as there is no winter down there.

But seriously, I am faced with the following calculus:

I could probably reduce winter loss to single digits if I culled half the hives in fall. But I would have 50% of my summer number, come spring. Whereas, if I cull no hives, and lose 35%, I end up with 65% of my summer numbers. That's a lot more hives available to rent for pollination.

And, if it's a mild winter, I could still have all of them by spring.

Peter Loring Borst
Ithaca, NY 14853