From:
Roger Flanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 08:55:46 -0500
Chuck, I'm also a new beekeeper and was having just the opposite problem
with filtering because I was trying to filter everything through paper
coffee filters and it was taking forever.  Then I visited the Nebraska
Beekeepers Association booth at the  State Fair and a Lancaster County
Extension guy gave me some great advice: PANTYHOSE!  I went home, cut a 6-
or 7-inch-wide band off one leg of old pantyhose, and stretched it over
both ends of a 5-inch plastic funnel.  It worked great, filtered fairly
fast, and there was no lint problem.  (A few days later, over cocoa and
cookies at the neighborhood bar, my friend Carl raised two important issues
for those considering this method: (1) was I sure they were old pantyhose,
and (2) was I sure they were my wife's?)
----------
> From: chuck s mcmarrow
> Subject: FILTERING HONEY
> Date: Monday, September 07, 1998 6:26 AM
> > I am new to beekeeping this year and have two hives.  They both seem
to> have done well as I have extracted about 110lbs of surplus honey from
one
> hive and about 50lbs from the otherThe second batch of honey has some
fine particulate matter
> present in it.  Is there a way to effectively remove this?> I would
appreciate any pratical help that is out there.