From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 07:52:22 EDT
George Imirie <[log in to unmask]> wrote about keeping queens for
more than a few days:
> ... queens can be kept for as much as two weeks from the time they
> were removed from a nucleus colony until you install them in new
> quarters, provided ... (they are) and best kept cool (perhaps in your
> basement) and dark.

This month's "Bee CUlture" contains an article about keeping queens
after they arrive.  The article continues "BC's" examination of the
"poorer queens in recent years" controversy and this month switches the
focus from producers to consumers by looking at the atrocious treatment
queens sometimes receive once they arrive to the beekeeeper.  Top on the
list, the numero uno recommendation is to install the queens ASAP!
Ideally, ASAP is the day you receive your queens.  Nick, if "bees ARE
your work" it's hard to understand why you're waiting until tomorrow.
However, I acknowlege that things happen, as does the "BC" article when
it goes on to give tips how to best treat your queens if ASAP is more
than a day or two.  Most of the tips George gave were included in the
article, excepting the advice "keep them cool (perhaps in your
basement)", which is also how I learned it.  The article was explicit
to point out that cool conditions are NOT(!) good for held queens and
advised a minimum temperature of 65 dF!

At first I questioned the advice, but after reflection I can see the
point that warmer conditions may be better.  Rarely does a queen
encounter temperature like one's basement and it seems reasonable that
warmer is better.  Perhaps George and I have been doing it wrong all
these years?

I don't know if the "Bee Culture" article will appear online.  The Root
web site still contains the March issue (as of this morning).  But the
article is good reading and offers food for thought and support for the
queen producers.  Trevor will enjoy the article when he reads it!

Aaron Morris - thinking old beekeepers CAN learn new tricks!