From:
Teresa Garcma <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues (Was Bee Biology)
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 00:12:56 -0600
> 'When you kill a queen, stick a pin through the body, and store under
> refrigeration. Then when you wish to find the queen, stick the body on to a
> frame in the hive, and shortly afterwards you will find the queen stinging
> what she believes to be a rival.'

Worth trying, but I think the pheromones will fade after the queen dies,
even though she´s kept refrigerated.

Tom S. once told me about this (I´ve found it very useful): To find a
queen, move the hive about three to five meters away and place another
brood chamber with one or two frames. The old bees will enter this brood
chamber, while the queen and young bees stay in the hive. The queen will
be much easier to find because of less bees, and bees that are gentler
too. Then you can put the hive in place again.

Tere