From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2015 17:51:55 +0000
I am wondering if "mite bomb" hives are also hives experiencing a lot of incoming bee drift?  This might explain how the mite population in those hives can explode.

This is back to my question about mite behavior.  I wonder if they somehow manage to converge on a specific hive regardless of whether bees are drifting into that hive too.  Tom Seeley has not observed such intense mite populations in isolated forest hives, so maybe this behavior (mite bomb) is limited to high-density apiaries.

Christina