From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:17:55 -0800
--- Robert Engelhardt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ( # Bees Entering Hive / # Minutes Observing ) *
> 0.875 = approximate bee population.

>  pages 71 and 164 of The Beekeeper's
> Handbook 3rd edition by Sammataro and Avitabile
(estimation disregards, outside temperature and other
weather related factors etc.)

Thanks Roberet!  Using some of your great info you
provided, I as able to search out some more examples
on this link:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X5E72152C

Also thanks Eunice, James, Mike and Curtis for the
nice responses!

Here's a real puzzler, maybe no formula exists but,,,

I often remove feral colonies that might have an stud
void for example 60 inches long, by 6 inches deep, by
about 15 inches wide.  If this void is completely
filled with comb that has a comb spacing center to
center of 1.25 inches.  Could one roughly determine
the amount of comb or cell space contained in the
void?

Best Wishes,

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
Small Cell Beekeeping