From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:41:04 -0800
>Current mega-ag practices are just plain not sustainable.  IMHO.

I think that most of us would agree on that!  That is hardly an excuse to
make sweeping regulatory demands without supporting scientific evidence.
 In this country, we are generally presumed to be innocent until proven
guilty.

To me, the question rather, is to plan for a viable transition from our
current state of affairs to a more sustainable and ecologically-friendly
future.  Using the neonics as a stopgap measure while we phase out
organochlorines and organophosphates, seems like a step in the right
direction.

The neonics will have a limited useful life anyway, and there is absolutely
no on-the-ground evidence to date that when used as seed treatments that
they are necessarily harmful to pollinators.  They are thus buying us time
while better methods of pest management, such as crop rotation, breeding,
and "biologicals" are developed.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA