From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 21:04:16 +0900
The recent discussion on beekeeping records and spread-sheets versus
customised programmes degenerated into a slanging match.  I was impressed
by one contributor who asked for ideas and will now add my own thoughts.

Keeping records is for the purpose of assisting decision making. Beekeepers
vary in their application to writing up details.  One beekeeper I know
weighs his supers in the field, deducting previous weights.  Another, when
asked to nominate his best queen, drives into the apiary site and looks for
the busiest hive.

Computers will save time but will not keep records.  If a beekeeper is not
committed to at least a day-book of hive visits, there is no point in
pretending otherwise.

Anybody with 10 or less hives will not save time by using a computer.  A
simple day book and card index will provide all the relevant information. A
day-sheet drawn up with columns for ticks for maintenance information such
as "Queen sighted" "Fresh eggs", "Brood pattern" etc. will enable hive
health to be tracked.

Spread-sheets only enable analysis of the records they are initially set up
for.  Data bases can be continually amended when need for further
information arises. I agree with the comment that Yards can vary from year
to year so hives from different Yards cannot be compared as like to like.

However the first question that any beekeeper must answer is:

What do I want to know?

My system is written on Microsoft Access (by my computer programmer
husband) and the important information is defined as:

Production per hive
Last year's production per hive
Production per apiary site
Queen line
Requeening date
Queen assessment information
Current location of hive
Weight, type and date of extractions
Maintenance problems requiring correction

The production is estimated by counting frames and dividing by formula from
total weight extracted.  This is of course not as accurate as weighing
supers but I consider the only honey worth counting is the honey passing
through the extractor.

All information can be kept from one daily record sheet and posted to
computer. Check lists of hive locations, maintenance requirements and top
production can then be produced, arranged in whatever order I desire.
Hives are moved interchangeably between apiary sites depending on flowering
cycles.

Can anybody contribute any other information that is desired for good
apiary management?

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island