Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 16:51:55 -0400
How about we all show our calculations, since I come up with a different
> number than any of you?

Which is why I gave up in te beginning. I was more interested in how close
the dose was the to LD-50 and maneuvering between concentration, ppm, mass
and densities caused my neurons to go into never-never land.

I am to blame for the final numbers, as I finally disregarded the specific
gravities (which I noted because I did not know them) and allowed a simple 1
gm=1 ml of liquid and a weight to weight measure of concentration which
allowed for an easy shift to liquid measurement. Remember, when this started
out, the problem was that amounts added were all over the place and we were
looking for more a ballpark number from the study to compare to the
anecdotal drops per whatever.

As the discussion went along it got more toward a refined number, but the
original assumptions were still in place. No specific gravities.

so 2.268 x 1.2/ .95= 2.8648 ml, and is the same as your number when carried
out and accounts for the specific gravities involved.

If the specific gravities are correct then your numbers are correct and so
were the original ones w/o specific gravities.

All of these assume pure oils. If not, that complicates it even more as sgs
will be different and dilution also has to enter into the calculations.

One more thing, the .06% was for each oil and we were discussing Thymol. The
sg of thymol is probably different than oregano. My guess is it is close. So
the number needs refinement.

Also, I believe there was no breakdown of the components of the Oregano oil,
so we have no idea what the Thymol concentration was. As noted, it can be as
little as 5% or a high as 50%.

Truth is, it really does not matter and, no matter which oil, will probably
end up being 2.5 ml/ gallon as it is easy to remember and measure. That
number is above most of the anecdotal amounts. "Yes, Randy recommends 2.5 ml
oil in 5 lb of sugar + 2.5 qts (5 lbs) of water" soon will be the standard
quote on Bee Source, even if you do not say a word.

Nice work, Randy. I think I will wait next time before venturing forth with
incomplete information. Naw, not like me. Something about angels fearing....

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine