From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2017 11:03:28 -0700
>In fact, I have been accused myself of being a shill for Big Ag.

Frustrating, isn't it?  I've been similarly accused, despite being a
dyed-in-wool lifelong environmentalist who actually walks the walk.

I agree that we should stick to evaluating the evidence, rather than
attacking or discounting whom it comes from.  And we should all keep our
minds open to having our opinions changed in light of new evidence.

In order to feed the Earth's continually-growing human population, we have
the choice of either converting virgin habitat into farmland, or increasing
the productivity of existing farmed land.  And although I personally
practice pretty much organic agriculture on my property, I realize that
agriculture will need to evolve and incorporate new technologies, such as
new and more environmentally-friendly pesticides, precision breeding of
crop cultivars (AKA genetic engineering), automation and robots.  Although
I cringe at the thought of robotic farming producing my food, unless I grow
it myself, that is clearly the future.

My hope is that consumer demand will shift the market towards products
produced using agroecological practices that will result in sustainability
and a greener footprint on our planet by our species.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA