From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:20:33 -0500
Hello Sharon & All,
All beekeepers need to stay on top of this situation. The article lacks
information which might help to get a clear picture of the situation. Bee-L
beekeepers in the area need to post any new information if possible.
Very sad situation for those beekeepers losing all colonies.
I have talked to several beekeepers which have lost almost all their hives
because fluvalinate resistant mites slipped up on them. One midwestern
beekeeper sent 700 dead hives to California to polinate Almonds. The weather
was to cold (he said) to break the seals and look inside before loading on
the semis. Not only did he not get polination fees he had to pay trucking
both ways. I didn't really want to post his story unless a story like in
Oregon came along. I am certainly not saying a similar situation happened in
Oregon. Even when all the facts are in a exact cause of death of the hives
in Oregon may be hard to pinpoint. The article gives few facts. The fact it
does give points to pesticides. ALL hives of both beekeepers died. Even our
midwestern beekeeper didn't lose ALL his hives.
Sincerely,
Bob Harison
Odessa, Missouri