From:
"E.t. Ash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2017 06:42:34 -0400
a snip...
Randy > I find this discussion on nosema to be of great interest.

Just casually following along with this thread it would appear some folks are confusing nosema a. with nosema c. in regards to symptoms, time of year these maladies rear their ugly head and potential remedies. Just casually I have always enjoyed the 'pink pages' and have often recommended these to new beekeepers and students at the TAMU bee lab but I don't recall George ever writing about nosema c.  imho the two are often confused by novice beekeeper and on occasion beekeepers with considerable experience. As far as I know nosema a. now appears to be quite rare and nosema c. does show up in lab samples from time to time.

like Randy (I think???) I also suspect nosema c. was a major factor in what was called ccd some years ago.  perhaps one of the largest benefit of all the money spent to address the problem of ccd was prior to that time nosema c. was not know to exist in the US but now we know that it likely was here for at least a decade when ccd was first reported.

as far as my own experience fumidil (or it equivalent) is only a short term remedy for nosema c.

Gene back in Central Texas after having spend 10 lovely days in North Dakota collecting data and enjoying the fine weather....