From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2007 08:49:56 -0400
There is some fairly good science on arthritis and bee stings, not so
much from this country but China. Bee stings do work, mostly on the
symptoms if you have it and on the immune system to keep it working
properly. Arthritis is an autoimmune disease so bee stings tend to
correct the problem.

Good science also on your bee suit causing sensitization to stings for
family members.

There is lots out there on the fact that even if stung often there can
be one that results in a severe allergic relation. It does not happen
often and my guess is it has less to do with the sting but what you have
in your system at the time. For example, do not take ibuprofen when
working bees. There may be other things that we do not know about.

I did find a study done by A UCon professor which I sent to the list but
seems to have disappeared. He originally thought it worked and
recommended everyone take a spoonful a day, but ran a further controlled
study which showed it did not.

Science is not perfect but it sure beats testimonials. I have tried
honey for a variety of issues and found it does not work for allergies
and several other things it is touted for. Others say it does. The
problem with this kind of issue its it lends itself to the desire to
want to believe in order to relieve whatever might be wrong. Add to
that, the power of suggestion, so you can have relief and feel better
when, in truth, there really is no change.

Plus, we are all not built the same way. Some recent studies on
antioxidants showed that you can get serious heart problems with too
high an antioxidant level. The body regulates the amount and when it
does not, additional antioxidants actually can harm. Now the new buzz
word is "reductive stress", which leads to less antioxidants. Moderation
in all things.

We take for granted scientific truths, such as the earth revolves around
the sun, but reject it only when it interferes with what we experience.
King Lear did. Some cancer patients do. We might be right, since science
is not infallible, but we tend to want to turn back the tide more often
than not.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine