From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:53:41 -0500
?
> More often than not I don't even have my smoker with me when I open my
> TBH.

Smoke has a calming effect on bees. Many hypothesis exist as to why.

In commercial beekeeping smoke is a key part of working a large number of
hives in one place. Do we always use smoke of course not but a useful tool.

Many  beekeepers make their bees aggressive by rough treatment of their bees
(mashing bees, dropping frames and pushing a frame back into a opening
crushing bees) and wearing these new sting proof suits promotes in many was
rough treatment by newbees of their bees. When you combine those things with
too lazy to light a smoker its no wonder the bees get stirred up.

How do you light a smoker and keep a smoker lit has been the most frequently
asked question of me.
Proper use of the smoker is an art. I handle the smoker when working bees
and if you learn the correct methods I might let you control the smoker.

I have taken the smoker away from a few beeks which should have known the
proper way to smoke bees.

Lightly smoke the bees not the other beekeepers!

Those on the list which have worked bees with me know I speak the truth.

I have to be in a big hurry for an important reason before I mash bees when
working hives.

bob