From:
Roger Flanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 13:25:28 -0500
I'm located in extreme southeast Nebraska, USA, and have the enviable
problem of what to do this fall or next spring with 4 tillable acres on an
upland bluff, now planted in soybeans.
Following the advice of several people, we planted a mix of white and
yellow sweet clover, and oats, on three adjacent acres earlier this year.
The goal was fast germination to hold down weeds with the oats, then an
extended bloom in 1999 from the two varieties of sweet clover.  One month
after planting, a local expert with hundreds of hives told me the yellow
sweet clover was "worthless" for bees in our area because he said it blooms
too early.  He recommended future plantings of white sweet clover, or white
"Dutch" lawn clover, or an old-fashioned "Horse Clover" that supposedly
grows up to eight feet!
(1)  Does anyone have any other suggestions for maximum nectar production,
and (2), if yes to #1, can you recommend a source of seed?  (I'd also
appreciate information/advice/seed sources on this "Horse Clover" since I
can't find it listed in any reference books.)
Thank you.
Rog Flanders