Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:57:22 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:00:41 EDT, Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>
>Why not make federal money available to allow local universities, SMALL
>BUSINESSES, and government agencies to work closely with commercial beekeepers  to
>DEVELOP better tools and procedures for more efficient, reliable,  and cost
>effective management of bees.

I guess what  I was thinking is we have the mite related issues fairly well understood so its not so 
much a problem solving issue that needs innovation as it is getting the industry to adopt new 
already known approaches. So what I'm suggesting is we need an industry "best practices"  
developed like other animal related prodution segments of Ag. 

It appears to me that you can pick any agricultural animal production system and you find animal 
husbandry practices which are mandated by the government or developed by that industry to 
protect their investment, public health and the all important public perception. 

Dare I say we need a similar ethic for honeybees? What is acceptable to put into a hive chem-wise 
or RX-wise? What stress is too much from monoculture pollination? Do we need a nationwide 
comb culling program and banning of materials that contaminate comb? Would a federal law on FB 
shake & bake be more helpful then unleashing Tylan to the bee world where directions go 
unheaded and the last antibiotic was over used and is now less useful? 

Should we give bees the same "compassion" as we do for other food producing animals?  Is 
allowing gassing of bees in the fall good public ag policy? Try explaining that one to the public 
when they hear of a bee shortage. 

Bee Alert seems more like a high tech problem solver, not so much a policy think tank, so while I 
think you're the right people to look at CCD, I suggest we have some good solutions to the mite 
and general bee health related issues already and now it's time for industry or maybe the 
government if industry is unable or unwilling, to implement some common sense "best practices" 

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2