From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:58:17 -0600
> I am able
> to get the top shelves up to 95-100 degrees F and the bottom to
> about 85-90 degrees.  I was able to re-liquify the thickening honey
> in gallon glass jars by keeping them close to the light bulbs.  I am
> using 2-60Watt bulbs.  My question is, what will happen to the honey
> if I keep it at those temps over the winter.  I know it will stay
> liquid, but is it so hot it will change the taste or composition of
> the honey?

It depends on the type of honey.  some darken very dramatically, and
fast -- from water white to black in a year or two.  some do not
change as much.

Generally, you can figure that honey will not benefit from
temperatures over room temp for any period of time.

>  What is the ideal temp. to keep the honey at over a long
> period of time?

Freezers are good.  Honey, once liquid, will not set up while kept
at freezing temps.  It does not freeze, but rather gets like cold
tar.

>  I remember reading something about not heating
> honey over 115-120 degrees as it may spoil or change the honey in
> some way.  Am I in danger of losing my stock?

Yup.  over time, it will deteriorate at these temperatures, but
remember, people eat honey in countries where the normal  daytime
temps are well over 100 degrees F.   ...And the hive is typically 95
degrees -- at least  near the brood --  if the bees can arrange to
keep it that way.  Mind you, they probably do not care about the
colour and flavour in the way we do.

Time and temperature combine to have an adverse effect.  160 degrees
F.  for seconds or minutes is not as bad as temperatures of 100
degrees over months.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>