From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 07:25:23 -0600
Hello All,
The below  information goes back a decade showing a connection between
pesticides and bee die offs in my opinion. Beekeepers have always had to
contend with pesticides but these new pesticides are particularly
problematic because of bringing back  contaminated pollen into the hive
which effects the colony later.

Further research is certainly needed but a connection between these new
pesticides and bee die offs seems to be forming. One reason beekeepers have
simply learned to live with pesticide problems in my opinion is in the past
the kills have been usually a yard of bees in an area ( my past experience)
and I can't say I have ever heard of a large several thousand holding yard
getting hit. Unless in a case or two of last years CCD.

The huge die off in France draws some suspicion from beekeepers because of
the huge number of hives involved ( 120,000) and so widespread. Despite what
the article says my contacts in France seem convinced that banning of
certain pesticides solved the problem except for SSDD which has always been
around.

However last years U.S. die off might fall in a similar category but we know
now other factors were involved such as virus and N. ceranae.  In the U.S.
last year I think the die off was caused by many different factors which
included weather issues.

The good news  is after searching I do not see bees dying on the scale of
last year this time. Secondly I have not so far seen bees dying on the scale
of the winter 2005/2006. Which makes the problem difficult for those
researching CCD.  Its kind of like when you hear a noise in your car engine
and when you take to your mechanic the car does not make the noise.

The bee industry needs bee research funds and we have got the public
interest to get us the funds. However its hard to find a noise in a car
engine when the engine is not making the noise.

Please email me members if you hear of bees dying.

old information with 2007 update:

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2003/11/26/millions_of_bees_dead_bayers
_gaucho_blamed.htm

bob