From:
Mike Rowbottom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:41:43 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Computer
Software Solutions Ltd <[log in to unmask]> writes
>The answer here is definitely 'No' - Bayvarol strips must not be placed in
>the hive while there are supers on the hive.
>
>Sincerely
>Tom Barrett

The written instructions included with the Bayvarol strips sold in the
UK read:

'...Bayvarol can be used at any time of the year for diagnosis or in
severe infestations where there is a threat to the survival of the
colony....Protection of consumers: No withdrawal period for honey is
required regardless of when in the year Bayvarol is used.  Other bee
produce should not be taken for human consumption until the Spring
following treatment.'

I  queried this advice with Bayer on their stand st the BBKA Convention
at Stoneleigh this year.  They confirmed that they are absolutely
confident, based on their testsing, that there is no residue problem
associated with honey.  There may be a problem with other products
(notably wax) but their testing of that has not been adequate to dismiss
or confirm a problem, hence the caution for 'other bee products'.

While Tom's advice is cautious, and I try to follow it myself, it is not
consistent with the manufacturer's Instructions in the UK.

There has been some debate in our Association about the best time to
treat for varroa with Bayvarol in the autumn.  Beekeepers taking hives
to the heather find that treatment after the return from the heather can
require hives to be opened in late October/November to remove the
strips, with considerable disruption unless you are lucky enough to have
a mild day at the right time.  One member advocates earlier treatment
(starting in July) to ensure that the 'winter bees' are produced
relatively free of varroa.  Such timing means that Bayvarol will be in
the hives during the heather honey flow.  Consequently under the Bayer
instructions sale of cut comb honey should not be permitted.

Regards
--
Mike Rowbottom

HARROGATE