From:
Morgan Dawkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2018 13:48:50 +0000
When I was in school 25+ years ago, we were taught about the significant benefits of antibiotics as growth promoters.  In many species, specific antibiotics regularly added to feed significantly increased the pounds of meat produced per pound of feed fed (feed efficiency).  This was a benefit to the farmer producing the product, and to you the consumer buying lower cost meat.  We now understand that this may be one of the many factors that have lead to resistant infections in both animals and people.  (Keep in mind misuse of antibiotics in people appears to be the primary issue for people.) The new VFD regulations were put in place because of this, and other misuses of antibiotics in agriculture.  Antibiotics solely as growth promoters are now illegal in the US.  Bees produce food for humans.  Yes husbandry for raising them is significantly different than cattle but cattle husbandry is significantly different than chickens which are significantly different than hogs.  My point being, they are animals manipulated by people to produce a product that enters the human food chain.  It makes sense to me that these regulations apply.  The complication is finding a veterinarian with experience.  In the US, bees are not part of the curriculum at any school, as far as I know, but that may be changing.  There have been numerous continuing education courses provided at the state and national level in relation to bee health.  There appears to be a tremendous interest in this in the veterinary profession.  Chris Cripps and Meghan Milbrath have provided lectures and wetlabs at the last few American Veterinary Medical Association annual meetings.  I went last year and they had to move to a larger room because they couldn’t fit everyone.  Yes, there is a lag in availability of experienced veterinarians but this should improve.  Unfortunately some rural areas have poor vet coverage in general and may continue to have problems with availability, which we need to figure out how to resolve.

Morgan

Morgan Dawkins DVM

Medical Director

Windcrest Animal Hospital

Critical Care and Emergency Veterinary Center

Avian and Exotics Veterinary Center

Small Ruminant Medicine and Surgery

3705 Lancaster Pike

Wilmington, DE 19805