From:
Ian Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:03:07 -0400
>My question. Why is there no mention of 'strange characteristics' when you
>buy 'Buckfast'.

There are no "strange characteristics" unless they are allowed to supercede.

>The information I was given was the the strain had been
>fixed and that "Buckfast' bees are gentle etc. If that is not the case, it
>suggests that a buyer is on a constant roundabout and has to replace with
>'Buckfast'.

It's like planting a hybrid corn, like "Peaches and Cream" and saving the seed
and being surprised they don't produce the same quality of corn.  Of course
you don't do that.   If you want the qualities of that hybrid, you buy new seed
every year.   In beekeeping terms, requeen every year with new Buckfasts.

>        Even in a perfect world some of those regressive genes are bound to
>'leak' to surrounding bees, making for more and more agression. Which is
>what is happening!

Not if, again, you requeen yearly.  And as far as I understand it, the drones of
Buckfast queens are pure?  So any "leaking" they do would be benefitial.  Just
speculation on my part.  We need an expert to jump in.

Regards,

Ian Watson    [log in to unmask]
real estate agent     gardener    baritone
beekeeper---> 14 colonies