From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 08:38:52 -0500
I have read the give and take on the merits of plastic foundation.  Here are
my two cents worth.  I have tried most every type of foundation (in my dozen
hives) over the last 15 years.  My vote goes with the old fashioned bent
wire foundation.  Yes, it takes more time.  Yes, it is more fragile and
susceptible to wax moths.  But my unscientific trials of plastic
foundation - even Duragilt - lead me to believe that they do not work as
well as simple beeswax.  I sense a resistance to working on the plastic.
(Have you seen a spot on the Duragilt where the wax has peeled off?)

Tradition is not a bad thing.  If I were earning my living with bees, I
might do an efficiency study to see if the problems with plastic products
were overshadowed by profit.  I'm not.  I don't criticize those who find
they can increase their hourly income with plastic.  But because I have
grown my equipment holdings as my time and interest increased, I never had
to make a huge investment in constructing many frames all at one time.

For those who suggest that tradition should not stop us from progressing, I
suggest that knowing the chemical composition of honey should allow us to
synthesize honey in a lab.  Who needs bees?  Well, I do.  I am just old
fashioned and enjoy it that way.  I would never tell others they need to be
like me.  It's just me.

There is nothing wrong with the bee's own wax for foundation - doing it just
as they have done it for a million years.  I wonder if the Darwinians would
contend that if plastic foundation were better the bees would have developed
plastic-producing glands on their bellies instead of wax glands? (just being
factious...)

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL  USA