From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 12:43:27 EDT
I construct hive stands from two 8 foot pressure treated landscape
timbers and a single 6 foot 2X4 (also pressure treated).  I connect the
landscape timbers together with three pieces of 2X4 cut to 23 inch
lengths, one at each end and one in the middle, using 3 inch deck
screws, all 2X4s attached to the bottom of the landscape timbers.  I
place the constructed stand on top of 3 cement cinder blocks, one
under each 2X4.  The 2x4s are coated with Tanglefoot, which keeps ants
out of my hives.  Cost per stand is under $12.  Each stand accommodates
three hives (each over the 2X4s) with sufficient room between each hive
to stack supers when I'm working the hives.

These stands are especially convenient for comb honey production.  I
keep two 2 brood chamber deep hives on each end of a stand.  When
I cut the hives down to single brood chambers for comb honey production
I place the remaining two brood chambers on a bottom board in the center
of the stand.  After harvesting the comb honey, I split the center hive
giving both comb production hives one of the brood boxes.  This gives me
my production units for the honeyflow and creates the 2 brood chamber
hives necessary for overwintering in this nasty northern climate.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!