From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:12:31 -0500
Bob said,

>I always experiment with a new product and did with Api life var.
>Using less of a product is always legal but not more.

Randy said:
Not so.

Yes so!  We have had this discussion many times on BEE-L and covered in the
archives!. Less is legal and more pesticide than label  is not.

Randy said:
 But that is the sort of behavior that leads to resistant varieties of the
pest you are trying to control and even bigger problems down the road.

I do not believe the above applies to thymol.
 Bees have never shown a resistance to thymol. Applying general ideas will
not work on BEE-L as we usually talk very specific.

 If you want to get real specific we were told by Brushy Mountain to use
only 2/3 of a tablet last year but the information this year says  one whole
tablet three times at 7 to 10 day intervals.

Randy said:
Having said that, I do not know if Api Life Var is a registered pesticide or
not, but I suspect it is.

Not yet!
Currently under a section 18 emergency use but a full registration is in the
works and expected to happen. Certain states have not applied for the
section 18 ( mainly because the beekeepers in the state have not pushed the
issue).

Randy said:
The casual, but flagrant violation of the pesticide laws by many beekeepers
I find to be nothing short of amazing - as
evidenced by my own assembling of an oxalic acid vaporizer this past
weekend.

The small beekeeper can get away with violations but the larger beekeepers
bees are put through many inspections ( I have had as many as four
inspections in a year) and honey tested by the FDA.
I will not use an illegal method of varroa control ( fine is$10,000 and has
been used against a close friend beekeeper by the bee inspection service
years ago).

Honest Bob

Ps. Hell the bee inspection service could be tracking Randy down as we speak
to levy a $10,000 fine for his use of  oxalic acid ! Kidding!