From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2018 20:22:00 -0500
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA HONEY FIELDS.

California leads in the production of honey both as to quality
and quantity. A. I. Root of Medina, Ohio, considered by most
people who know him as an expert in judging honey, pronounces
in favor of California white sage honey as the best he has ever
seen or tasted. He was so enchanted with it that he bought two
carloads from Mercer & McIntire of Ventura county for his own use.

And now that we have a great army of trained skillful beekeep
ers with facilities for getting our honey product into any market
in the world both by water or by rail, there is no good reason
why the beekeeper of Southern California should not lead the
world in all that pertains to the production of honey.

Colorado is putting on war paint and threatens to lead Califor
nia, boasting that the alfalfa fields of Colorado produce the best
honey in the world and eighty pounds of honey to a hive of bees.
It will take Colorado a long time to catch up with our procession
at that rate, 200 pounds to the hive is only a fair yield in South
ern Californ and in an extra good year we take 600 pounds.

There are great cities like London and New York that take vast
quantities of honey and the inhabitants thereof produce none.
There is plenty of room in this big commercial world.

THE RURAL CALIFORNIAN. February 1891.