From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:12:22 -0500
> In this months American Bee Journal (Dec. 2004 pg.921) the Westlaco
> USDA-ARS bee lab has done *almost the same tests* as were done (by
> three longtime beekeepers under a 1998 SARE grant)  in Missouri in
> 1998.
<snip>
> "The data indicates FGMO fogging of hives is of no benefit in
> controlling varroa populations or improving the overall health of the
> colony during the test period."

I don't know if any one - or two - studies really proves anything.  I see
all the time that somebody did a study, and that, all of a sudden, we are
supposed to change our diet completely.  HOWEVER, if we don't get around to
reading the article this month, no matter, because another study will come
out a week or two later saying the opposite.

"No benefit" is pretty strong.  What about "Alternative Varroa Control
Experiment American Bee Journal - September, 2003 by PATTI J. ELZEN, Ph.D
USDA-ARS Weslaco, TX" http://www.beesource.com/pov/usda/abjsep2003.htm ?

That article includes this quote: " As I have stated elsewhere, the idea of
combining multiple tactics for varroa control is one of the best long-term
strategies for pesticide use reduction, minimization of resistance, and
environmental safety (to bees and humans). The value of 69.4% reduction is
quite acceptable when used in coordination with another control tactic; here
as Bob chose, of a partially-resistant bee line. "

Personally, the only conclusion I have been able  to reach about FGMO is
that it works at least a bit, and often more than a bit, at least some of
the time, and some places.  For most beekeepers, given their schedules,
their climates, their habits, etc. it won't work well enough to provide
complete control, but I think it has some benefit, and if it does, then,
saying "no benefit" is misleading.

Anyhow, from what I saw at Beesource, the people claiming to use FGMO
successfully all measured mite drops and monitored their bees, and some used
other controls, too.  I think that almost nobody will try to argue that FGMO
is as effective as Apistan or Checkmite+ (when they worked), but I also
think that nobody has proven that FGMO, or other oil treatments, including
those from Italy, don't help at all.  I suspect they do, and, given the lack
of alternatives some people are facing, FGMO might help a bit -- IF THEY
MONITOR BEFORE, DURING, AND AFTER, and don't assume they can just treat and
then walk away.

allen
Wishing everyone a good Thanksgiving from Rhode Island
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/