Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:10:30 -0400

> > Larvae are most susceptible to infection during the early larval stages,
> i.e. 12–36 h after egg hatching. During this time window, the oral uptake
> of a dose of about ten spores or fewer via contaminated larval food is
> sufficient to successfully initiate a fatal infection. -- Genersch 2010

I would add to the debate that the number of spores transferred by a hive
tool is probably near zero, but all it takes is one, time and a little
serendipity. So why not clean them?

I watched our State bee inspector inspect hives and he will shove a hive
tool down into the ground between inspections. Between apiaries,he will put
the tool directly into his smoker. I do the same, especially since 25 years
ago my first experience  in bee keeping was to buy two colonies which were
inspected by Tony, found with AFB, and burnt up by me.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine