From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 21:30:00 -0700
>What we do know now and and was the position I took back in 06 is that the
problem (CCD?) does not spread *quickly* through areas.

Actually, quite a few commercial beekeepers have reported that CCD does
indeed spread quickly from one end of holding yards to the other, and that
it is transmitted by moving infected loads near healthy bees.

>*in my opinion* what we saw in Hack's bees was the *end* phase of a nosema
> ceranae event combined with advanced parasitic mite syndrome (PMS) which
> *involved* KBV (instead of the normal virus associated with PMS ).

In this case, Bob, I am in relatively close agreement with you, although it
appears to me that N ceranae is secondary, rather than the primary pathogen.

I will be publishing results about my trial this last winter of CCD-like
virus-infected colonies wintered with or without fumagillin.  They support
Jerry B's finding that CCD is a virus/nosema problem.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA