From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:11:33 -0600
Hello Randy & All,
We are getting calls in the Midwest from brokers looking  for bees.

Just like last year those brokers know exactly what bees which have spent
the winter in cold weather look like.

I just came from looking at some of my Missouri bees. The are wintering well
but have moved down to normal winter size  winter bees cluster WHICH IS
AROUND FIVE FRAMES OF BEES THIS TIME OF YEAR.( with some larger)

Too cold (just above freezing ) to check to see the amount of brood but
these hives will be boiling with bees for apple pollination & making splits
IF we get a warm March.. Exactly what I want to see this time of year if not
going to almonds.

I do not believe brokers would be calling if a shortage would not be
happening. Regardless of what happened to Midwest beekeepers getting -------
last year when they sent the same type bees they sent in 2005 I believe an 8
frame strength hive should bring a couple hundred dollars. I have NEVER said
the guy with the best hives should not get a higher price.

At the ABF convention were some almond growers. They told me they would NOT
ever turn their nose up at a five frame healthy hive of bees for almond
pollination. Why would they? Five frames is what the have got for the last
decade in WINTER from the Midwest. Those hives explode in almonds!

The next ad you *might* see in a California newspaper might read:

"Field run five frame hives of bees for $200 cash on delivery"

Again to take words from my California broker friends:

"Supply and demand"

I kept my cool at the ABF convention when California beekeepers said:

"field run bees are bees you drop in the field and run"

I have watched when nets are pulled on loads of those bees in warm weather
both in California almonds and in Texas. Those bees swarm the blossoms.

Those locked in contracts at fifty dollars  less will have to wait for next
year for the big money.

As Randy says it will be interesting to see how things shake out.

 Did Lyle say how many of those hives he had?  I didn't think so.
Lyle ( I was told) got some really strong hives late from Minnesota and
Wisconsin . Those areas made bumper honey crops, had strong fall flows  and
were unaffected by drought.

I have not heard of Lyle calling Midwest beekeepers looking for bees.

Many almond growers ( direct conversation) are not happy with the higher
almond pollination fees regardless of the hype about you get what you pay
for as the guys with the dinks will get the same money IF a shortage and
they wait till last. THEY DID IN 2005.

Supply & demand

Also a shortage may not happen. As Keith Jarret said last year beekeepers
hauled every hive they could get their hands on to California. Might happen
again but at this point I don't think so.

 Still too
early to get a clear picture.

bob

--