From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 19:51:40 +1000

>Hey, good question, Garth!  And do bees pollinate cannabis?, and opium
>poppies?, and coca plants? and jimson weed? etc., etc.
>
>If so, would this honey be hallucinogenic (and illegal) as well as
>poisonous???  Seems like we would have heard of it by now...  Maybe the
>bees avoid these plants, or else convert any active substances into
>harmless ones.

As far as cannabis is concerned, bees apparently work the blossoms for
pollen but it is not a strong source.  Cannabis of course was grown for use
for fabric manufacture and was commonly used for hard-wearing clothes such
as jeans.   A form of cannabis without the drug ingredient is being trialled
and promises to be a valuable source of fibre for paper and material, but
unfortunately irrelevant for bees.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island