From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:26:58 -0400
> If the current named CCD problems are mainly mite/virus related
> (as I predicted a very long time ago on BEE_L) then commercial
> beekeepers  have got big problems.

First, I'm not clear on where the link has shown between detectable
virus on combs, and the same virus infecting hitherto virus-free
bees placed upon that comb.  Given that we have the technology to
detect specific viruses in specific bee tissue and mites without
extraordinary effort or expense, I don't feel that this is an
unreasonable expectation.

Second, we know that the absolute best way to communicate viruses
between bees is via varroa, so we've had excellent opportunities
to see worst-case scenarios of viruses for decades.

Why would the build-up of viruses on comb result in symptoms
never before seen, when the much more direct transmission
mechanism of "bee to varroa to bee" has never produced such
symptoms?

Even if we had a "new virus" behind CCD, why would the virus
not be transmitted in "traditional" ways?  I have a hard time
buying both "a new virus" >>>and<<< a new mechanism for
transmission of that virus, both newly appearing at the same
time.

So why would the symptoms associated with CCD show up now, if
this were a virus-driven problem?  And how could the problem
be so widespread "all at once", defying the usual pattern of
epidemiology (not to be confused with entomology, epistemology,
or etymology).

I have similar doubts about many of the theories being put forth
about CCD.  When diagrammed, they seem to defy the usual mechanisms
of both "disease spread" and "environmental contamination".

To compare and contrast, we have the contaminated pet food situation
to show us just how quickly answers can appear when there is a clear
pattern common to multiple cases.

We don't seem to have any statement from anyone that would lead us
to understand "the pattern to CCD".  Not to date, anyway.

And to make matters worse, these same symptoms have been seen before
in the 1970s and 1960s, long before varroa showed up in North America.
In these prior "outbreaks", the problems apparently went away on their
own before the cause(s) could be found.

I need a stiff drink.