From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 22:53:42 -0600
> Perhaps I'll write and ask.

I did, and please pardon me for answering my own post, but:

Paula wrote back:

"I think the powdered sugar we used here should be the same confectioner's sugar
or icing sugar you are talking about. At least this was the conclusion we came
up with after discussing it with some people from Canada that had the same
question at EAS 2000 Meeting in Maryland. We are testing other powders as well
as fine granulated sugar to see if we can obtain the same efficiency but I do
not have results yet. Anyhow, I will check on the size of the particle of the
one we've been using. I hope I have addressed your question.
Paula Macedo.

and Marion wrote:

"Powdered sugar and icing sugar are synonyms, at least in terms of the
labeling retailers use here in the states.  Both contain finely powdered
sucrose with 3% cornstarch added to prevent caking.  We used a Brand called
G & H.  We are evaluating the technique more extensively this fall and are
including alternate dusts in our experiments.  We hope to publish the
results this winter.

I hope this resolves the question -- for now at least.

And -- we *did* find two mites in one yard today with this technique and we are
now following Adony's suggestions in trying to calibrate this in terms of other
more familiar methods.

allen
---
A Beekeeper's Diary: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/
Package bees, winter loss, fondant, Pierco vs. Permadent vs. dark comb,
unwrapping, splitting, raising queens, AFB, varroa, protein patties, moving
bees, pollination experiences, daily mumblings and more... Many Thousands
served...