From:
Marc Studebaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:32:24 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Raising Queens in Bad Weather

>I am wondering what tricks anyone can offer to get good cells in good
>numbers early.  We have tried swarm boxes and just been very unhappy with
>them.  Our preferred method is a two storey queenless colony for starting
>and finishing the cells.  Is there something better for cool weather?

Allen I have had good luck raising queens during bad weather using  a cloake
board, created by H. Cloake a New Zealand queen rearer.  This is fully
described in Bee Culture December 1993 as the cell door.  It is basically a
way to make the top story of a queenright hive, queenless, while forcing all
the bees into the top story. This makes them eager to feed the grafts
profusely.  24 hours later the slide is removed to make a queenright
finisher. This is all done from outside of the hive. this is less
disturbance to the hive and weather doesn't affect their acceptance.  You
still need drones mature enough to mate though.  I hope you have access to
this article.
Good Luck
Marc Studebaker
Geneva, IN.