From:
Alan Pagliere <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:15:36 -0400
        I started my first hive in mid-late April (here in SE lower
Michigan). Buckfast. The bees were very gentle for the first couple of
months. I now have a busy colony with two deep brood chambers, one filled
medium super and another that they are taking their time drawing, for some
reason. I have been feeding them 1:1 syrup per just about everything I
read here (the assumption being that they will stop taking it when they
are happy with what's available elsewhere...).
        Of late, however, they seem to have gotten mean. They are angry
when I gently replace the jar on the feeder; they buzz loudly and come
after me. Even on beautiful sunny days with no wind, a quick peek under
the cover and the mean buzz starts, they congregate, and they come after
me with intent. (I guess I should be congratulated as I finally received
my first sting a week ago. I am officially inaugurated...)
        Might it be that they are generally angrier than they were because
they now have a real home with contents they wish to protect? Are Buckfast
queens supposed to produce nastier offspring? Are they feeling grumpy
because the flow is bad (I don't really think it is, but then again they
are taking lots of syrup)? A friend about three miles away with Italians
in their second year is doing fine, saw them last week and they were
gentle as could be, and productive.
        I haven't checked the brood area in a while. I'm kind of afraid to
(half gest, half truth). Last time I checked they had a reasonable amount
of burr comb going down there, which I assume by now is back again.
        So, two general questions: 1) why could they be so grumpy? and 2)
Do Buckfasts like to build burr comb? Should I worry about that after I
worry about the loss of their gentleness (and my innocence)? You know,
gotta have something to worry about.
        Thanks for any help.

|              Alan Pagliere               |
|              Ann Arbor, MI               |
|     http://www.umich.edu/~pagliere/      |