From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:36:28 -0800
Hi Karen & All,

What type bees do you keep? Some bees work better under bad conditions.
Try unlimited brood nest management.
Leave plenty of honey on hives for dearth periods.
Use a cell size that increases your number of bees per brood cycle.
Allow the bees to build up their brood nest using Nectar instead of sugar
syrup.
Feed if you have to but only if you have to.
I am not against feeding starving bees but there are times beekeepers feed
when they really do not need to.

> What is "best" for bees and what is "required" are not always the same.
> Comparing the "dearth" of winter to that of mid-summer (with 90+ weather)
is
> simply an attempt to confuse the issue.

If that statement confused you you may be reading more into the statement
than the statement stated. Still honey or nectar is best for the bees. The
statement was just a closing statement, not there to diffuse or confuse
unless I guess if one is susceptible.

Dee Lusby in a dessert does alright not feeding sugar syrup and by gawlee it
gets pretty hot and dry in her neck of the country. I would say if there is
a will you can find a way. Be a pioneer. That's what I am doing in Alaska
where I was just informed just two days ago that it is to hard to keep bees
through our winters and a beekeeper should kill the bees in the fall.

> Actually, not true.  It would also depend on what your bees have found in
> their forage range.  If it includes soft drink bottling plants, ballfields
> or dump areas, they could be picking up quantities of artifical sugars and
> bringing it in.

I guess I am just lucky to be keeping bees in a part of Alaska where I have
no such problems. If a person does have such problems perhaps they should
move the bees they keep to a better forage area. Some locations are not
meant for bees to be kept in.
   . ..
c(((([
Keith Malone