From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 07:23:38 -0400
Peter Borst wrote:

> Bill
> Which is why the issue of GMO will go nowhere, if we are going to
>   discuss it in its totality and not keep it at the bee level. Even there
>   it has generated more heat than light.

> The potential side effects and unwanted ramifications are not being
> discussed openly. Anyone who attempts to risks being called a chicken
> little or a Luddite. Did we not learn from Kerr's experiments? How
> researchers working in supposed isolation can affect all of us?

But is this the proper forum for a general discussion on GMO? I have no
problem with any discussion concerning bees, where this group can exert
some influence, but when we venture into something so broad we diminish
our voice.

There are a multitude of organizations and groups that are very involved
with this issue and where the discussion is very open. GMO is in the
news (US corn rejected for famine relief in Africa) so it is not covered
up or beneath the radar.

I am only suggesting that those other avenues are better for a general
discussion, and not this list. Keep it to bees.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine