Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 10:15:52 -0400
One thing that still remains open is how much contamination is from either
incorrect use, or use of non-beekeeping  pesticide  used in the hive. There
are many that buy off-use pesticides and use them for Varroa and have been
doing so for years. When one becomes ineffective, they just shift to
another.

I would never use cumophose but did use Apistan. I would like to say I am
pure and always used it IAW  directions, but there was a winter when I just
decided to leave it on. And I was not alone in that. Some beekeepers
recommend just that.

My guess is that most contamination is not from proper use but improper-
except for cumaphose. Also, most problems are from non-rotation of comb, a
basic practice in all bee books.

Sometimes I wonder if we should lay off banning bee pesticides and just ban
beekeepers. Selectively, of course. :) Like the Mikado, I have a little
list.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine