From:
JOHN IANNUZZI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 10:39:03 -0500
> I know about the affects of temperature (both high and low) on honey
> crystallization but that doesn't seem to explain the following strange
> observation.
>
> I've recently returned from a trip to N. America.  I took a jar of honey
> with me that I ultimately gave to some relatives who live in Canada.
> When I set off from home the honey was liquid.  When I handed it over
> about two weeks later it had crystallized from top to bottom.  In the
> meantime it had been subjected to three plane flights (London UK to
> Vancouver BC, Vancouver to Portleand Oregon and Boise Idaho to Seattle)
> and a couple of thousand miles of surface transport (car, bus and
> train).  For about a week I was visiting places above 6000 ft and part
> of the time was over 8000 ft.  When I got home again the rest of the
> batch, bottled at the same time from the same bulk honey container, was
> still liquid (although a few small crystals could be seen at the bottom
> of the jars by using back lighting.)
>
> I discount temperature.  Modern aircraft holds are, I believe, heated
> and, in addition, the weather was mild and, even when travelling, my
> luggage was taken indoors every night.  The only other factors I can
> think of are vibration and air pressure.  (There was no sign of the jar
> leaking honey.)  Has anyone else observed this effect?
>
> --
> Malcolm Roe                                Phone  :  +44 1442 345104
> Crosfield Electronics Ltd                  Fax    :  +44 1442 343000
> Hemel Hempstead, Herts. HP2 7RH, UK        E-mail :  [log in to unmask]

  REPLY:  U never told us the floral source.  It must have been
  goldenrod, the king crystalizer???   Jack the B-man Ellicott City Md usa
   John Iannuzzi PhD            * "Singing masons building roofs
   9772 Old Annapolis Rd        *  of gold."       --Shakespeare
   Ellicott City MD 21042 usa   *  20 Italian colonies
   [log in to unmask]   *  3-1/2 decades in beedom