From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2011 00:55:53 +0000
> I have seen Chinese style beekeeping in Thailand.

You could find beekeepers like these in any third world country, including Mexico. But as we all know, Mexico also has some of the largest, most successful honey producing operations in the world. I am quite sure that China did not become the world's largest honey producer using single story hives. To those folks who cling to the notion of China as a country of tent dwelling peasants, I suggest you wake up soon or find yourself out of a job. China competes in every food market and is number one in the production of many of the world's important food crops. As a matter of fact, they have an expanding organic farming movement as well:

> From 2000 to 2006, China has moved from 45th to 2nd position in the world in number of hectares under organic management. China now has more land under organic horticulture than any other country. In the year 2005/2006, China added 12% to the world's organic area. This accounted for 63% of the world's annual increase in organic land, and China now has 11% of the world's organically managed land.

> China has adopted an innovative path, via Green Food, towards achieving an organic future. This transition strategy may be a model for other countries seeking a rapid expansion of organics. Food exporting countries can expect in future to have their chemi-agricultural produce competing with certified organic produce of China.

> In 2005, China produced 49% of the world's vegetables, up from 36% in 1995, and 50% of the world's apples. China is the world's largest producer of pears, accounting for 60%, soon to be 70%, of world production. China is the "world's largest tomato paste and puree exporter". China produces 49% of the world's apple juice exports, with other countries' production levels shrinking, continuing a ten year downward trend for US production, and a similar decline for Germany with an expected 40% reduction in 2006.

> Green Food is a Chinese innovation which certifies food safety by certifying product standards. In addition to residue testing, it includes field inspections and inspections of processing procedures. There are also tracking and traceability systems in place, including “electronic identification” systems.

> China may be the newest organic ‘kid on the block’, but she is a very serious player with the potential to greatly raise the market presence and profile of Organics around the world. Wai (2006, p. 112) describes the “Chinese national standards” as “the most stringent set of organic requirements in the world”.

CHINA’S ORGANIC REVOLUTION
John Paull
School of Geography & Environmental Studies, University of Tasmania, Australia.
Journal of Organic Systems 2007 2(1) 1-11