Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 10:25:36 -0700
You are right.  These are two different matters and I was referring to
what Pete was mentioning.

However, I have some questions on RNAi, too.

> This is analogous to natural  processes that happen within every
 > organism's body, and to you every time you eat a meal--there are tons
 > of dsRNA and micoRNA products in plant and animal cells--many of
 > which pass into your bloodstream with every meal, and may have
 > positive or negative effects.

In simple terms, how do they work?  Are they keys looking for a
compatible lock, like a virus; and only active on specific kinds of
cells that they fit?

Is Pete's concern that they might accidentally fit some other cell that
was unintended and just happens to be crucial to the functioning of the
organism being treated or some innocent bystander organism?

How permanent are these RNAi interventions and can they self-reproduce?
Can they degenerate or mutate after production or introduction and make
damaged copies that could have unintended effects?

I am almost totally ignorant on these topics although I have seen quite
a few superficial references.