From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:05:36 -0500
Frank said:

> I don't think I have yet seen any explanation of what makes
> organophosphates so nasty.

In two words, "cholinesterase inhibition".

In plain English, this means that your synapses can stop working.
This results in your neurons not getting signals from your synapses.
That means that your "electrical system is shot", causing
twitching of muscles, paralyzed breathing, convulsions, and in
at some level of poisoning, death.

Even tiny levels of exposure seem to result in detectable and
damaging levels of poisoning.  Every time these chemicals have
been studied, the level of concern is raised by responsible parties.

The most dangerous aspect is that the effect of these chemicals is
cumlative.  They "build up" in the systems of mammals with every
exposure.

> you can count me among the ranks of those who are unaware.
> Can anybody here share some details about the potentil problems
> of using organophosphates in general and Checkmite in particular?

Here's a typical example of a very calm treatment of
"the problem" by a typical state agency:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/mpiap/fqpa/workop.htm

        "Even with maximum feasible protective clothing
        and engineering controls, calculated risks for most
        OP [organophosphate] workers and handlers still
        exceed the Agency's level of concern. EPA believes
        that an across-the-board increase in risk mitigation
        measures is needed to protect occupational users
            of the OPs."

In other words, even with every possible protection and when
taking every possible precaution suggested by the EPA, OPs
still have a serious, tangible, and irreversible health impact on
those who use and handle them.

In short, the EPA is admitting that there is no "safe" way to
handle or use the stuff, no matter how careful you are or
how much you spend on protective equipment.  They are
also admitting that they have no idea how to keep people
safe from this stuff.

Here's a blow-by-blow description of the biochemistry and the
specific mechanisms as they apply to mammals:

http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/tibs/cholines.htm

Here's a decent plain-English overview, from Consumer's Union:

http://www.consunion.org/food/pest-ops.htm

Here's the EPA's website on organophosphates:

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/op/

If you'd like to read more, do a Google search on any
of the following:

   cholinesterase inhibition
   organophosphate cumulative assessment
   organophosphate EPA

I'm not sure that Checkmite is mentioned as a brand name
in any of the available information, since scientists use the
full chemical names rather than brand names. Also,
Checkmite is a newer product, and is less widely used than
the other organophosphates.

You know that I satirize and poke fun fairly often, but I'm not
exaggerating even a little bit in the above.  Read some of the
links above, and consider who is saying what.  I defy you to
find a nastier class of chemicals anywhere on the entire planet.

        jim

        farmageddon