From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 May 1998 09:45:00 -0700
At 10:38 PM 5/24/98 +0000, aweinert wrote:

>Does anyone have  experience  with bees in tea plantations

>I have been looking at  collecting pollen  in local tea plantation
>but have not had too much success so far as the bees have
>appreciated the weeds more than the delicate  tea flowers

Hi Andrew & Bee Friends,

I don't know much about TEA, for a fact having not had the experience of
working with TEA other then drinking  it and using it on the cancer on the
end of my noise, but I would suspect that it may not produce large amounts
of pollen or nectar both can be what attracts honey bees to pollen.

I would also say that many plants like the Almond produce pollen in the
early and late part of the day and thats when the bees do collect the
pollen. If there are other plants attractive to bees blooming at the same
time then the bees will work these during the time of day the Almonds are
not producing pollen. With Almonds when pollen is available from its blooms
the bees will leave the other pollen plants for the almond pollen.

Why, I am sure there is a super attractant in the Almond pollen that brings
them back and this all may be because the honeybee and almonds evolved in
the same area of the world so the bees have in their on board computer a
build in list of plants to work. Some write of this using hard to spell
words describing it as genitics but the OLd Drone ain't too good at
spelling so he keeps it simple as it was before others complicated it with
science.<G>

There is information on Tea in the Pollination Bible on the AI Root web
page, try this address:

http://airoot.com/beeculture/book/chap9/tea.html

ttul, the OLd Drone

http://beenet.com
Los Banos, Calif.

(c)Permission is given to copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!