From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2014 19:38:22 -0400
I love plastic in wood frames for honey supers, as the bees do not respect
the thin plastic top bars of the one-piece plastic molded frames, and tend
to construct large, multi-super combs when these are deployed, during a good
flow, requiring one to carry a garrote in one's bee gear to saw the supers
apart with piano wire or a guitar sting.

But buy the Rite-Cell.  It is much, much thinner plastic than all the
others, which allow the bees to heat up both sides of the foundation.  This
means faster comb-drawing, and less energy (nectar!) consumed in the
drawing, as less heat needs to be generated.  With the thicker plastics, one
will often see only one side of the comb drawn, and that is your clue that
the thick plastic acted as an far-too excellent insulator.  One never sees
that with wax foundation (which I still use in brood chambers, for
sanitation reasons, as recycling wax-in-wood frames allows complete
sterilization, plastic, not so much).

The Rite-Cell holds up in grooved frames at RPMS far beyond what you would
want to spin, I can attest to this, as my frames were "teenager tested" on
extractors with variable-speed motors and belt-drives.  There is a certain
point at which even empty comb can be coaxed into separating from the
foundation, and the Rite-Cell just takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.