From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 11:59:40 -0400
> my understanding is that the project was financed through a small business grant and capital outside of the ARS, and that lab facilities were rented by SAFE, Gordy's company... Beyond that, I do not know if the ARS contributed more than what was hired and if there was a 'Chinese Wall' or if things intermingled, or if they obtained rights to new findings, if any.

OK.  I stand corrected.Seems I was being too generous.

Hold the press.  This just in from "Deep Throat"

See http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/projects/projects.htm?accn_no=414401

--- Quote ---

...3.A. Modify the MegaBee diet by adding chemical components that were identified in the pollen mixture analysis"...

Approach:

1. Nutritional  value will be evaluated by measuring protein and lipid levels and on bee longevity. The chemical composition of pollens that are more nutritious than MegaBee will be determined. 2. Determine the effects of high fructose corn syrup containing higher saccharides on honey bee longevity. 3. Determine the effects of improved nutrition of the longevity of bees parasitized by Varroa, the reproductive potential of queens, and foraging activity of colonies used for pollination. REPLACING 5342-21000-014-00D (8/08). FY09

Program Increase $270,000.

--- end quote ---

Note the word, "increase", not, "total"

Where are the papers,  articles and talks detailing the specifics of the findings?

Seems the US public did, indeed pay for the information.  Releasing this  information in a timely and ongoing manner could be saving a lot of beekeepers a lot of money and possibly saving some from bankruptcy.

I know that Frank Eischen has released some interesting work and Gloria has made some generalised public comments.

What else has come of this money?

Information just wants to be free.