From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 2010 06:11:41 -0800
Waldemar asks:  By what means do they attain this weedless status?

I can't speak for those California farms, but my grandfather farmed organically before the word was even coined, let alone popularized and cliched.  His rows were weed-free because us teen-aged grandkids were hired every summer.  We walked them and hoed and hand-pulled the weeds.  When we walked the entire farm, we started over again, unless it was time to bale the hay.

Thankfully, the rows were 40" wide and the farm was only two hundred acres, some of which was pasture and hay.  It can be done with enough labor.

Grant