From:
Tim Sterrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:30:51 -0500
Gordon wrote:
>Does anyone know whether Apistan treatment, in a 2 story hive, would be

>just as effective if the strips were placed in the 2nd story hive body
>instead of the lower hive body?
*************************
     I try to put the strips in the hive body which has the queen in it
(where the broodnest is) because this (I guess) is where the maximum
number of bees come into contact with the strips.
********************************
>The reason for asking is that for all practical purposes, the upper and

>lower hive bodies, over the summer, are effectively "welded" together,
>and separation is an awful chore up with which I would rather not put.
>Does anyone know a simple way to separate these structures easily.
*************************
      No. (Don't I wish!)
      I slide a hive tool between and almost parallel to the side of the
hive body )where the wood is thicker than on the ends.)  After I hit the
heel of the hive tool with the heel of my hand to drive it in, I lift it
mightily and separate the two hive bodies enough to puff in some smoke.
I may use the hive tool (turned on its edge) to hold the hive bodies
separated while I puff the smoke in.
    Then I wiggle the hive tool along the back end of the hive body and
lever down the frames that have been glued to their neighbors above.
    Then I twist and lift on the back end to separate the two hive
bodies.
    (That sure sounds easy when I type it!)
Tim
--