From:
Terry Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 22:12:38 -0700
ddavidd wrote:

> Hi, I just started my first hive with some used equipment and a swarm.
>
> I live in san martin, Ca and was wondering if there are and local beekeepers
> on this list.
>
> I have been read a couple books from the libary and so far I got the hive
> together and my son and I got the bee in it with no trouble at all.
>
> Something I read on the list said that it was to late to get a swarm. I am
> now wondering will the bees survive the winter even if I feed them?
>
> What should I do now to check there progress ?
>
> All the books say I should keep 2 hives ?
>
> any advice will be helpful.
>
> David

David:

I also am a new beekeeper - I got bought three complete hives about a
month ago.  I can't answer your question about your bees surviving
winter but I can offer info on how to check their progress for now.

You need to open the hive and check for:
a)  capped brood (dark rather than light which is the honey)
b)  larvae stage brood - uncapped (look like little grubworms)
c)  the queen (much longer than the other bees)
d)  honey stores.

If you find larvae, the queen is probably around somewhere even if you
don't locate her.  This procedure can be quite intimidating but just
work calmly and take your time.

Granted, I just did this for the first time last weekend and it was
quite a rush!!

I don't know how much detail you needed -- if you need more just ask.

The reason they say to two hives is that if you find one of your
colonies is weak, you can combine the two and have one strong one rather
than possibly losing the weak one.

Patty in central Missouri